Served in a bowl covered with clear water broth, or squeezed into a ball and dipped into palm oil soup. They loved the melegueta pepper from Liberia, and called the pepper the “grain of paradise,” later referring to Liberia as “The Grain Coast.” Spanish, Dutch, English, and French traders also visited the area.The American Colonization Society (established in 1816) returned freed American slaves to the West African coast in 1820. : palaver; problems. Probably came into use in 1940s when African-American troops were stationed at Robertsfield airport.] There were many different tribes living in the area when the Portuguese arrived in 1461. Capital: Monrovia (named after US president James Monroe; see history below) Counties: 15 Language: English; Liberian Kreyol; 20+ local languages “That child is getting dry.”  Also a coolquialism for being without money-broke. “He got plenty fuss.” (He is very worried; he has problems.) “Th” is often pronounced like a “T”, and so “think” becomes “tink”, and “Thank You” becomes “tank you”. :  still; yet, already. It is the common attire for women when wrpped about the waist and tucked in as a long skirt. “She is here again”  (She is still here.) “I cannot lie.”  (I do not lie. “I will chunk you.”  (I will hit you.) “A snake burned him.”  “He was burned by a bee.”:  forest; secret society groves. ):  getting along; so-so. “Belly in the tube” (Ectopic pregnancy).” (Typhoid fever—this term is thrown about very loosely here, and often refers to any serious or prolonged fever).” (Well which is closed and has a hand pump attached to it).” (serious). This post contains affiliate links. “That one not so fine.”:  done; the end; stop; complete.

Kreyol is an English-based pidgin spoken in Liberia. Language official English others Kreyol (Liberian Pidgin English), Merico or Americo-Liberian, Manding, Kru and Mel languages and the divergent language Gola.

(or just “CCP”) – Refers to gossip. “Finish one time!”  (Lay off immediately. The sisters talked about the terrible war that was being fought in their country, and how their parents had been killed. ):  tribal or traditional. “Has she come again?”  (Has she come yet? :  a term used for any bad skin condition (often scabies). Pronunciation tends to drop the final consonant of words ending in consonants, so that “Jared” sounds just like “Jerry”. congosah: v. To gossip. Liberia Facts and Profile. Used in metaphor. Affected by mild mental derangement. This word is used in connection with “doctor,” “medicine,” “science,” “person,” “thing,” etc. Word order is often quite different as well, so that question sentences are phrased differently than in standard English. Standard Liberian English is spoken by less than 3% of the population. :  a demonstration of good will and respect. This is dedicated to my 2 ESL students from Liberia.The Liberian begins in the coastal plains to the southwest, which are filled with mangroves and swamps on the flat coast. And feel free to ask lots of questions, most people are happy to help you learn to speak “goo English”. :  very. “I have to be behind you all the time!”  (I have to be after you constantly to make you do it.)

Does imply the word “bribe,” sometimes. ):  pregnant. “He has good heart.”  (He is a kind and sympathetic person. “She was here again”  (She was here already.) “The hunter has gone into the bush.”  (The hunter is in the forest.) And so, when a person with high blood pressure develops a headache, they will tell you “the pressure hurting my head”. In response to “how are you”, saying “I’m trying” means “I’m OK—not too great, not too bad.”  In the medical setting (often “trying small”), it may mean I’m improving a little but still having significant symptoms. “His heart is bitter.”  (He is angry.) :  to throw away; discard. “He is running behind that woman” (He is chasing after that woman. Thousands of slaves eventually were sent and immigrated to live in a colony where Liberia is now; in fact Liberia means “land of the free.”In 1847 Liberia declared its independence as a republic under a constitution modeled after the U.S. It has also come to be applied to all “civilized” or urban people who dress and behave in a non-African manner. Other common forms of English spoken in Liberia are Kru Pidgin English and Liberian Kreyol English. Moving inland, the land rises from rolling hills covered with tropical rainforests, to a rolling plateau and finally low mountains in the northeast that contain deciduous forests.Oral tradition tells that the land that is now Liberia was originally inhabited by Pygmies. Liberian English is a term used to refer to the varieties of English spoken in Liberia. “I beg you”  (Pleaded)  “I begged him”  (I pleaded with him.) :  accident; involuntary mishap. Often used in reference to a palaver, or a special meeting involving important decisions. Liberian English is quite distinct from British or American usage. User Population. All rights reserved. In the end they said that they wanted people to know their country for more than the awful war that was raging at that time. “His skin was hot too much” (He had a very high fever).” (Having her period). © Kid World Citizen 2011. “I can’t do that again”  (I don’t do that any more.) ):  hoeing; preparing the ground for planting; weeding. “I hear Vai.”  (I can understand Vai. “I can do that.”  (I will do that.)

Amy Disney, Simon Raab, Baseball Savant Active Spin, The Neighbour 2016 Wiki, Green Card Application Form Pdf, Ride For Me Lyrics Js, Jealousy Vs Envy Catholic, Chelsea Transfer News Today, APJ Abdul Kalam Comment, 5 Days In Portugal, Charlotte Ritchie Movies And Tv Shows, Brazil Real Interest Rate, Selena Death, The God I Never Knew Is He Pentecostal, Loures Wikipedia, Teacher Interview Questions 2019, Peter Sarstedt Lyrics, July Calendar Template, Texas Dps Practice Test, Spanish Bible App, Leigh Whannell New Movie, Hyderabad Cosmopolitan City, White Panther Facts, Jean Schulz, Horror Movie With Plague Doctor, Practice Driving Test Nsw, California DMV Written Test, Surfwise Trailer, Rebecca Sleight, Rta Theory Test Booking, When Did Princess Diana Die, Who Wrote Anymore By Travis Tritt, Map Test Practice 4th Grade Pdf, Kim Brady CFO Nikola, Adyen App, Most Spoken Languages In The World 2020, I Hope My Ship Comes In Before The Dock Rots Meaning, How Many Premierships Have Richmond Woncape Canaveral Air Force Station, Wherever He Leads I'll Go Youtube, Keene State Today, Do Cats Think Humans Are Cats, Norwegian Citizenship, Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Pharaoh's Dream Explained, Freddy Vs Jason 2 Cast, Beautiful Dancers, Processors Not Affected By Spectre, Joshua Robinson Facebook, October 2019 Events, Rebecca Mcnamee Croft, Helena Chemical Company Products, Prairie Farms Dairy News, Summer Solstice South Africa 2020, Genesis Bible Verses, Beautiful Dancers, Women's Cycling Power Chart, Reddit Amd, Belgium Weather July, Along Came A Nanny Cast, Tron: The Next Day Wiki, Hillbilly Deluxe Lyrics, Ground Truth Project, Immigration Status List, Daniel Kerr Movies, Insurance License, Hanser Alberto Trade, Easy Test Maker Reviews, Met Opera Opening Night 2019, The Sea Wolf 2019, Sudoku Nytimes, Rose O'neill Artwork, Nicole Da Silva ‑ Instagram, Central African Republic Birth Rate, History Channel Documentaries, How To Study Effectively, Openedge Xcharge, First Day Of Winter 2021 Usa, Taskmaster Definition, The Official Dvsa Guide To Driving - The Essential Skills Section 7 On The Road, Akan Tribe Slavery, The Price Of Everything Netflix, Why Is Kumasi Called Greater Kumasi, Scott Mcgregor, An Idle Mind Is Devil's Workshop Proverb Meaning, Thompson Engineering Mobile, Samantha Mathis Instagram, Arizona Permit Test Quizlet 2019, Mercedes C-class 2021, I Still Believe In You, Brandon Walters Bushwhacked, Is Anamaria Marinca Married, Syfy Movies,