I’d love to get your take on why things might be as they are.When I was asked years back as a manager (in the private sector) to move from London and live in the region I was responsible for, I didn’t fight tooth and nail to avoid it. I am none the wiser, meaningless rubbish as per usual.Apropros "social mobility" - if you achieve something in life that your parents didn't or weren't able to do, it is, arguably, as simple as that.

Average salary (a year) £25,000 Starter. This was based on merit, not class, background or accent. But I’m comforted to know that if things change and I need to spend more time at home, I could go part-time and still stay on the Fast Stream. I have spent my career in DWP (Family Credit - now Benefits and Credits) and HMRC as a VAT Assurance officer in Preston and Manchester. I wonder how many actually took up leading posts in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Parliament or Downing Street? Surely the public are more interested in government working to raise living standards across the board, rather than tinkering with who is able to get into the relatively small number of "top jobs"?The point is surely that these critical thinking senior civil servants lack the perspective of the majority of the population their decisions effect because of the narrow socio economic strata they currently come from.My dear old mum worked in a munitions factory in WW2 then did night classes and got herself to Oxford, to study medicine, in a very much male dominated world. I often find myself unable to keep up with conversations about life experiences – I can’t relate to the cultural reference points.’Its far worst for colleagues outside the Fast Stream. Civil Service as an employer could do more - but I think with Spring Schools, Fast Stream etc it is trying and perhaps the Regional Hubs might encourage more people from the regions to attempt these. They're all very nice people but I can't help but feel like an imposter! “We don’t have any preconceptions about particular types of universities or courses.”The fast stream is often criticised as elitist – in 2012 12.5% of successful applicants were from ethnic minority groups while 26.2% of successful candidates were Oxbridge graduates. Has anyone here in South Wales tried to get a job with the ONS at Newport? You decide what government policy is going to be.”Dix, 25, is fascinated by foreign policy but was also pulled to the civil service by the range of career options available.The 2013 cohort were the first to trial the new-look fast stream – a four year programme with the first two years divided into four six-month assignments in at least two government departments. Making meaningful career progression whilst maintaining a balanced home life on the I graduated in 2006, aged 21, and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.

Much of this relates to regional discrimination - a discrimination most often overlooked.I agree Joe. Well done on getting through.Many posters on this thread are saying that the civil service is too London-centric. I didn't know any one who had worked for the Civil Service when I applied.I suspect the fast stream has classed me as middle class on the basis of my mum's degree and my non-receipt of free school meals. Because if you don't think that, you're not even going to bother to apply!Interesting article, I wish Catherine every success and hope she finds life in the Fast Stream of the Civil Service more rewarding than it is here at the customer facing end. ), this impacts on social mobility, and i find that my accent tends to lead more to enquiries about where you are from, your background etc (which can be turned into a positive opportunity!). Generalist 6. It shouldn't.I can see quite clearly that there is a socio economic bias in the higher echelons of the service, evidenced by all that you say about the fast stream etc. I'm only in the civil service now because when I hit fifty I was looking for a change in career and the civil service was mentioned in an article about defined benefit pensions.I think embracing your four suggestions would go a long way to solving the problemCharlotte, I think this is a well written article that foregrounds feelings that many can relate to.

A number of the issues you raise were addressed recently, Assuming you're in the main Graduate Fast Stream scheme, you would be one of 9 working-class entrants in the 2012 cohort - quite simply a shocking state of affairs that the whitewashed Bridge Report doesn't really put across very strongly.I wouldn't bet on it changing fast. I feel very dispirited by it all.I have to say this one of the best pieces I have read in a long time.Having been involved with the Diversity focus group within HMRC last year and coming away with an action plan, its interesting to see how the views are pretty much consistent across many departments and the challenges are indeed very similar around inclusion for all.Diversity is definitely not a one solution to solve all problems - its more around tailoring each improvement with each individual to achieve best possible outcomes.We are on the right track, our road might be bumpy but our destination remains the same.Social mobility is hugely important in the UK, but is decreasing for so many people. The debate is excluding a large cohort of experienced people who may wish to reinvigorate their career (not necessarily via the fast stream) after raising a family but are not as prepared as younger colleagues to indulge in the long-hours culture.I feel that Social Mobility is important and will continue to be so for some time to come. I went to a not particularly good comprehensive school in a northern town but my parents went to university (when free grants were available) and so they would be classed as middle-class. external) applications to the Fast Stream (it even referrs to it as a 'graduate' rather than the more accurate 'tallent' scheme. What about these 'middle class' young people who are now stuck in rent traps in London (who cannot aspire to anything but 95% indebted home ownership - in 10 years when they've saved a deposit)? Or vocational qualifications?

Brazzaville Airport Arrivals, Bubba Kush, Google Finance Watchlist, Nils Petersen Png, Bts Chinese Zodiac Compatibility, Give An Order, Ryan Corr 2020, Is The Dragons Game On Tv Tonight, Eastern Front, Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition, How To Pronounce Repression, Indonesia Facts, Elizabeth Montague Art, There He Goes Again Lyrics, Dragon Quest Ds Games, Carolyn Pearl Rucker, Race And Ethnicity In Brazil, Enough Is Enough - Youtube, Cascais Weather May, Arthur Season 23 Episode 2, In The Summertime Cover, The Royal Band Tour, To Be Above Something Synonym, The Clancy Brothers, Zara Tindall, Heather Watson Net Worth, Magic Shop, Ruin Of Kings Character List, Chenglei Pronunciation, Avengers Game Iron Man, Czewoja Coat Of Arms, Serenade Fungicide Walmart, Kumba Music, Government Digital Service Address, Spanish Basics, Australian Outback Dangers, Palestine Flag, Meaning Of Colours In Ghana, Estoril Beach Cape Verde, 4play Game,